Cheesy Potato Soup
Original recipe from allrecipes.com
- 4 Tablespoons (unsalted) butter (for sautéing)
- 4 Tablespoons (unsalted) butter (for roux)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped finely
- 4 cups water
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- bacon bits
- green onion, chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt 4 T. butter. Saute the onions, garlic, and celery in the butter for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the water, potato cubes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 4 T. butter. Add flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add milk and continue to stir for about 5 minutes, or until it starts to thicken. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour this into the soup, stirring constantly until soup has thickened, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the parsley, bacon bits, green onion.